Adobong Baboy (Braised Pork in Tangy Sauce)
* 1-1/2 lb. pork, cut into serving pieces
* 3 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1/3 cup vinegar
* 3 tbsp. soy sauce
* 1 bay leaf
* salt to taste
* 1/4 tsp. pepper or 1 tsp. peppercorns
* 1 tbsp. sugar (optional)
* 1/2 cup water
* oil, for frying
1. Combine all ingredients in a big pot except the oil and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
2. Place pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and simmer covered until meat is tender for about an hour (checking occasionally for the water not to get dry, just add a little water each time you see its almost dry up). You may adjust the seasoning according to your taste and liking. Drain and reserve sauce. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the meat until lightly brown on all sides. Set aside and keep warm.
5. Pour off all remaining oil from the pan. Pour in back the meat and reserve sauce. Mix for about a few minutes while scraping up the bits on the bottom of pan.
6. Remove from heat. Serve hot.